Engagement Rings FAQ
Engagement Ring FAQs
Your engagement ring is a piece that is both immensely sentimentally valuable as well as monetarily. These accessories have long been given to symbolize both one’s intention to marry, as well as their everlasting, unconditional love. Today, they are forged in the most beautiful and durable materials to ensure they last a lifetime. The ring’s band, an uninterrupted circle, is said to symbolize the eternal nature of marital affection. The center stone, typically a diamond which is the world’s hardest element, represents the incredible strength and beauty of the unbreakable bond shared.
These rings, then, as they carry incredible significance, should be chosen for one’s partner with care and insight. Choosing the ring that will long represent your unique love story is no small task and shouldn’t be taken lightly. You may find yourself faced with a number of questions as you begin your search, and we at Thom Duma Fine Jewelry are happy to help answer them. We’ve put together a guide to some of the most frequently asked questions about engagement rings and engagement ring buying that we encounter here.
Why Do We Give And/Or Wear Engagement Rings?
As you sift through a myriad of engagement ring styles and settings, you may find yourself wondering about the origins of engagement rings. Where does this practice originate? What sort of symbolism has it held in the past? It is important, first, to decide for yourself and your partner if this is a practice you would like to participate in.
The first known engagement ring was given by Archduke Maximilian of Austria to his intended wife, Mary of Burgundy. It is recorded that the diamonds on the ring were arranged into an “M” for Mary. Apart from this particular ring, engagement rings were given frequently in the 1900s to give the bride-to-be a sort of assurance that her suitor had intentions to marry. If he were to break his promise, she would at least be left with compensation of sorts.
Today, however, engagement rings serve a much more romantic purpose. The engagement ring one presents to their partner exhibits their intentions to marry, and remain committed to each other til death do them part. They symbolize a massive step forward in a relationship and the promise of forever.
What Are the Most Common Engagement Ring Center Stone Cuts?
The cut of the ring’s center stone, that is, the shape it has been cut into and the number of facets created, determines much of the overall aesthetic of the piece. There are a wonderful number of cuts to choose from, each communicating a unique feel and amount of sparkle. These are a few of the most popular engagement ring stone cuts on the market.
- Round: The round cut makes up over 75% of all engagement rings sold. It is characterized by a timeless, circular cut with 58 glittering facets.
- Princess: The princess cut is second in popularity, and features a perfectly squared shape with sharp corners and parallel lines. This cut gives any ring a wonderfully modern, geometric effect.
- Cushion: Similar to the princess cut, the cushion is characterized by a squared shape with rounded corners, resembling a cushion, hence its name.
- Oval: The oval cut is nearly as brilliant as the classic round cut, yet possesses an elongated silhouette. These are beloved for their romantic, feminine feel as well as their ability to make the wearer’s finger appear long and slender.
- Pear Shape: This unique cut is one of the few engagement ring cuts that are not both horizontally and vertically symmetrical. With this elongated cut, one end is rounded while the other is pointed, creating a tear-drop shape.
- Emerald: Reminiscent of the Art Deco era, the emerald cut is rectangular, with parallel facets that create a unique, “hall of mirrors” effect. The clearest diamonds are ideal for this cut as its shape allows the viewer to see clearly into the stone’s center.
What Are the Most Popular Engagement Ring Setting Types
The ring’s setting refers to everything other than the center stone, that is, the band, any accent stones, and any added metalwork. The ring setting also serves to determine the aesthetic effect of the piece. There are a number of popular engagement ring settings you can choose from, each with a distinctive silhouette.
- Solitaire: One of the most traditional engagement ring settings is the solitaire. As the name suggests, it features only the band and a center stone that is allowed to be the star of the show without any other details or distractions.
- Three Stone: A large center stone and two smaller flanking stones, usually identical in cut, size, and arrangement. The three stone setting has been said to represent the past, present, and future of a relationship, the “present” stone being the largest as a reminder to remain ever mindful of the moment you are in.
- Halo: This setting is beloved for its ability to make the center stone appear larger and more brilliant. In these rings, the center stone, and occasionally the side stones as well, are surrounded by a “halo” of accent stones.
- Side Stone: Side stone rings are any rings that feature accent stones along the band. They can be prong, channel, pave, or bezel set to give the ring extra sparkle and visual interest.
How Much Should I Spend On An Engagement Ring?
You may have heard the over-wrought rule that two months’ salary is what one should spend on an engagement ring. However, many may find this rule to be either too exacting or restricting. The two months’ salary rule was actually a marketing ploy developed by DeBeers in the 1930s to generate buzz around diamonds, especially when it came to bridal jewelry. The most important thing to remember when shopping for an engagement ring is that it should reflect both your affection and your partner’s personality, as well as be able to stand the test of time. Seek out pieces that will not overextend you monetarily. After all, you would not want to start off this new chapter of your life in a financially difficult place.
Shop Engagement Rings at Thom Duma Fine Jewelers
At Thom Duma Fine Jewelers, we understand the incredible significance an engagement ring will hold, and the need for it to be of the highest quality, ensuring it retains its beauty over the years. At our Warren jewelry store, you will find only the finest selection of bridal jewelry collections by many of the best designers in the industry. It would be our joy to assist you in finding the ring that best suits your partner’s personality and unique style as well as your budget. Book an appointment today for a personalized consultation with one of our team members, or browse our inventory online at your convenience.